should there be a referendum on leaving the EU?

Leaving the EU is a stupid idea.

Just like being anti immigration is moronic.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
Leaving the EU is a stupid idea.

Why?

EU laws are taking over our laws in all walks of lifes IMO

My English is not very good

and they are generally better, more fair.

Human rights act anyone?

cross border trade?

Haalth and safety?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
and they are generally better, more fair.

how about this
12 0ct 2011

Supreme Court overturns non-EU young spouses banBy Dominic Casciani

Home affairs correspondent, BBC News

Amber Aguilar and her husband Diego said their human rights had been violated

'I felt like I'd been exiled'
Couple lose migrant marriage case

A government ban on non-EU foreign spouses under the age of 21 coming to the UK is unlawful, say top judges.

The ruling by the Supreme Court is a major blow to an immigration policy designed to stop forced marriages

The case was brought by two couples who said that the immigration rule had unlawfully interfered with their right to a private and family life - Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights

They don't seem to care about UK laws

I agree with the ruling.

You wrote:
I agree with the ruling.

Really, why?

Because it wasnt right.

Even the Daily Mail threw a hissy fit at the rule when it found out that it also affected white-folk (though I am sure they wouldnt have minded if it "only" affected other foreigners).

You wrote:
Because it wasnt right.

Even the Daily Mail threw a hissy fit at the rule when it found out that it also affected white-folk (though I am sure they wouldnt have minded if it "only" affected other foreigners).

But that's not looking at the wider picture, a lot of young Asian girls and boys are going to be forced into getting married at an earlier age because of this law being abolished just like before and they might have wanted to continue with there studies - It has been seen that young girls are taken on holiday in the summer and then they are forcefully married off against there will

or the same number of people will be forced and it would not have had any difference.

The age of adulthood in the UK is 18.

It has been seen that young girls are taken on holiday in the summer and then they are forcefully married off against there will.

They could still be married off forcefully. the only think that was stopped was them bringing their husbands over.

You wrote:

They could still be married off forcefully. the only think that was stopped was them bringing their husbands over.

No, because they want the husband to come over ASAP after the marriage so there thinking if we get her married off at 18 there's not point because it's going to take 3 years for her husband to come over so why not just wait till 21 that way we can submit the app for the hubby to come over straight away after the marriage

so they still get forced?

either way, you are looking at the smaller picture, and that is dealt with with making forced marriage illegal and a criminal offence, not by banning everyone under 21.

You wrote:
so they still get forced?

Not sure, but at least they get to complete there studies if the age was left at 21

You wrote:

either way, you are looking at the smaller picture, and that is dealt with with making forced marriage illegal and a criminal offence, not by banning everyone under 21.

What's the punishment for forcing someone into a marriage agents there will?
Has anyone ever faced that punishment to date, has anyone ever been charged with such an offence?

They're can't just leave the EU

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
They're can't just leave the EU

Why not?
We didn't abolish our currency for the Euro

That is different, the connection is already so it would be hard to get out Of as it would affect Other things like trade, jobs, immigration etc

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

That is different, the connection is already so it would be hard to get out Of as it would affect Other things like trade, jobs, immigration etc

We do trade with many countries that doesn't mean we have to be a part of them to do trade

The EU immigrants do jobs at a lower wage which means they're taking jobs away from the British people who demand the minimum working wage, if we got out of the EU then we would have more jobs for the people living within the UK

Why dont you think we should be a part of the EU?

You wrote:
Why dont you think we should be a part of the EU?

Why should we be?
we have our own history and culture
we have our own rules and regulations
we have our own currency, its worth more then the Euro afaik

Would there not be infighting about this issue within the UK itself Northern Ireland, Scotland Wales? they might want to split from us because of this

Go back a generation and your ancestors were proably not even from the UK.

(The euro and the EU are different things.)

The heritage and culture argument for you is bogus.

Would there not be infighting about this issue within the UK itself Northern Ireland, Scotland Wales? they might want to split from us because of this

Parts of Scotland wants to leave the UK and have closer integration with the EU.

Parts of Northern ireland wants out of the UK too.

You wrote:
Go back a generation and your ancestors were proably not even from the UK.

That's true

You wrote:

(The euro and the EU are different things.)

But the euro is the currency for all EU member countries AFAIK so it could be linked with this argument

You wrote:

The heritage and culture argument for you is bogus

It's not about me alone it's about the heritage and culture of this country as a whole

You wrote:

Parts of Scotland wants to leave the UK and have closer integration with the EU.

Parts of Northern ireland wants out of the UK too.

Maybe they feel that not enough power is given to them in the first place so they'd rather be ruled by the EU where they might feel listened too

lollywood wrote:

We do trade with many countries that doesn't mean we have to be a part of them to do trade

The EU immigrants do jobs at a lower wage which means they're taking jobs away from the British people who demand the minimum working wage, if we got out of the EU then we would have more jobs for the people living within the UK

It is easier to trade within the EU so leaving would be a disadvantage and I'm sure other agreements and treaties have been signed which would affect other aspects of the country/peoples' lives.

The euro is not the currency for all EU countries...otherwise we would be using it too.

It is easier to trade within the EU so leaving would be a disadvantage and I'm sure other agreements and treaties have been signed which would affect other aspects of the country/peoples' lives.

How about the EU debt that we might have to help pay off?

This year alone, EU heads of government have met 20 times as countries like Greece, Italy and Spain struggle with huge debt and low growth.

The euro is not the currency for all EU countries...otherwise we would be using it too.

[/quote]

17 out of 27 member countries use it and how before the others are forced to use it by some EU law?

Err my point is, it would be incredibly hard to get out of the EU because of the agreements made. If you break a contract you're gna have to face the consequences aren't you!

Err my point is, it would be incredibly hard to get out of the EU because of the agreements made. If you break a contract you're gna have to face the consequences aren't you!

Then they should have asked us what we the public think before making any kind of contract

lollywood wrote:
17 out of 27 member countries use it and how before the others are forced to use it by some EU law?

Until recently all EU laws have REQUIRED that every single country agree to them beforehand. Any eu wide legislation that any one country disagreed with would not go ahead.

(This got changed recently to majority only, as getting 27 countries to do a referendu on small minutea is not a good way to run things).

You perfect fit the bill of a Daily Mail reader.

lollywood wrote:

Then they should have asked us what we the public think before making any kind of contract

It's pointless moaning about this, now.

You wrote:

Until recently all EU laws have REQUIRED that every single country agree to them beforehand.

I didn't know that

You wrote:

Any eu wide legislation that any one country disagreed with would not go ahead.

(This got changed recently to majority only, as getting 27 countries to do a referendu on small minutea is not a good way to run things).

Why do say it's not a good way to run things? but that's democracy- you ask everyone to vote for what there opinion is on a particular issue no matter if its on a big or small issue

You wrote:

You perfect fit the bill of a Daily Mail reader.

You've said that so many times it's starting to feel like a compliment

lollywood wrote:

You've said that so many times it's starting to feel like a compliment

lool

lollywood wrote:
Why do say it's not a good way to run things? but that's democracy- you ask everyone to vote for what there opinion is on a particular issue no matter if its on a big or small issue

We only ask which party will make the legislation for the next 5 or so years.

We rarely get asked about any individual piece of legislation passed.

Did you vote in the educational legislation passed last year? I didnt.

You wrote:

We only ask which party will make the legislation for the next 5 or so years.

We rarely get asked about any individual piece of legislation passed.

We got asked about FPTP in 2010

You wrote:

Did you vote in the educational legislation passed last year? I didnt.

We should do

Pages