Snack stand-off: Banana v KitKat

Just linking to something on the bbc - a between the banana and the KitKat, where various aspect of each are pitted against each other - things from nutrition to celebrity endorsements to history.

Tags: 

And thank goodness for the license fee or we might still have been in the dark.

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

Its mandate is not limited to just delivering serious news.

I think the state of uk media would be much worse if the BBC did not exist - even though it can sometimes be manipulated and not present its programming in a totally unbiased manner, like when it refused to broadcast the DEC appeal for Gaza.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

We can talk about bias in the BBC. The BBC has been under pressure to acknowledge having an anti-Israel POV. For that reason they made the decision they made. For my part, both on compassionate grounds and because of the precedents, perhaps they should have broadcast that appeal; but also for my part there is strong reporting bias.

I am not making a general case against the Beeb and having pointed out what a puerile waste of money that kind of thing is I don't see this as a discussion about Gaza. Then again it's your thread. Biggrin

Joie de Vivre wrote:
We can talk about bias in the BBC. The BBC has been under pressure to acknowledge having an anti-Israel POV.

pressure from the israel lobby.

Everyone else thought that it was letting israel off with far too much, only using israeli sources for stories etc...

Just because there is pressure does not mean there is a fire.

It is just a general thread and everyone can mould it how they wish.

I just got the undertone in your post (maybe inaccurately?) of your disdain for the BBC, which while you may not be a part of them, but it is the stance of the Pro Israeli lobby.

I agree that the BBC is not perfect. It is far far from it. (and even the generation jihad they are recently making seems like shoddy journalism), but I also think it is far far better than most other organisations. For one, they use small paragraphs. Now you can't argue against that! Blum 3

(and yes, I really do find long paragraphs demotivating.)

I also liked this comparison of the chocolate vs the banana. waste of time and money? most certainly. but not everything has quantifiable value.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
I just got the undertone in your post (maybe inaccurately?) of your disdain for the BBC

Not disdain, just slightly irked by the link you made to political coverage. What I do explicitly say is that the Beeb has an anti-Israel PoV, but I have a problem debating that with you since we both have our own PoV, and because I'm informed by personal experience with the Beeb, not by a lobbyist. I discussed this very subject on air and with limited time I told the "anti-war" activist - who had just used up my whole hour and deprived the audience of a discussion about Israel and Lebanon - pretty much what you go on to say, that PoV is a given - seems that's just the thing to say when you're flabbergasted at someone perceiving the opposite bias; on reflection and with time I might have pointed out the absurdity: Also in the studio was a Lebanese guy who had been invited in to disagree with me. When the producers discovered he and I were like-minded they marginalised us in favour of the activist who had been campaigning out front. Yes, they give time to Regev and other spokespersons, but consistently they put him on the defensive. Occasionally you get straight interviews with both sides. The BBC has worked very hard to suppress Balen's internal report that in all likelihood contains these observations.

You wrote:
I agree that the BBC is not perfect. It is far far from it. (and even the generation jihad they are recently making seems like shoddy journalism), but I also think it is far far better than most other organisations. For one, they use small paragraphs. Now you can't argue against that! Blum 3

My ideal paragraph would never end but horses for courses; you're take on the BBC is something like mine. But the article you posted warranted mockery. You say KitKats, I say bananas.

Joie de Vivre wrote:

My ideal paragraph would never end
but horses for courses; you're take on the BBC is something like mine. But the article you posted warranted mockery.

Not many people would read ur ideal paragraph then.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
Joie de Vivre wrote:

My ideal paragraph would never end
but horses for courses; you're take on the BBC is something like mine. But the article you posted warranted mockery.

Not many people would read ur ideal paragraph then.

Then it's all mine.

hmm

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

MY paragraph. :badgrin: