Women's Boxing

What are your thoughts on women's boxing? Is it right or wrong?

What about your views on the sport itself? Does it make a difference if it's women or men who are punching each others lights out in the ring?

Those of you who watch men's boxing, are you as enthusiastic about watching women fighting it out in the ring?

In 2012 women's boxing will be included in the Olympics. Is it about time, or just equality gone mad?

Someone who's hoping she's there fighting at the 2010 London Olympics is Ambreen Sadiq aged 15 - the first Muslim female boxer in the UK. She's not just got her opponent to worry about or the fact she's competing in a male dominated sport, but also religious restraints and cultural stigma.

Could she claim the huge support, from Muslims and non-Muslims alike, that Amir Khan did back in 2004 at the Athens Olympics, or are we just not ready yet? Will we ever be?

Ambreen: The Girl Boxer will be showing this Friday 22nd January on Channel 4 at 7:30pm.

Did Amir Khan have any support before he won?

I cannot remember hearing of him until he was winning and suddenly he was "Our boy Amir".

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

There are women boxers, but the sport is just not as popular.

Muhammad ALi's Daughter, Laila Ali. She fought that other boxers daughter too.

People may dislike women boxing for the same reasons they may dislike women body builders.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I quite like watching boxing. It can be exciting, especially if you're watching fighters of Amir Khans calibre. It can be very exciting.

I do know that Muhammed Ali's daughter also boxes but ive never watched any womens boxing. Or any other womens sport for that matter.

I dunno, to all the guys: wud be weird to be watching women boxing?

Back in BLACK

I can get into a boxing match when it's on, but being me, I don't like it when it gets a bit too aggressive or when either boxer looks injured... I'm like :shock: 'oh no!'

As a sport, I think it's a stupid concept. I wouldn't want anyone I knew to get too seriously into it, for fear of them seriously harming themselves or somebody else. I don't think I could sleep after winning a game of sport which involved literally beating someone.

I've only seen boxing matches between men, but personally I would find it even more uncomfortable seeing women deliberately hurting each other, all in the name of sport. And that is most likely due to stereotypes of the female species.

I remember the hype a few years ago about Laila Ali, and she said her father had tried to discourage her a lot. When he was interviewed about it himself he said it had a lot to do with the fact she was female, he said he wasn't opposed to women's boxing and it was her choice ultimately, but that he didn't think it was very fitting for her as a female or a Muslim, and he was also, naturally, concerned she might get hurt.

If women want to do it then I don't see why they shouldn't, but if women's football hasn't yet really taken off that much, I don't think boxing will for a while yet.

If after watching the programme Muslims disagree with Ambreen Sadiq's choice of career I hope they put their views across intelligently, so that this doesn't just bring negative attention to the ummah.

so she wants to box, who cares?

she didn't come across as passionate about the sport.

i think this was channel 4's attempt at trying to spark up some controversy. no one had heard about her before.

sorry to the men on this forum, but a large majority of men love seeing women fight verbally, or even a cat fight maybe pulling hair. its a sexual fantasy for many, not just a laugh. So the prospect of female boxers many many men would love that, in fact i can just see those disgusting individuals salivating at the very thought of two women fighting in boxing shorts and vests. If a muslim woman fights it might bring in more men into the arenas than ever before, and even women, i mean who doesn't want to see a muslim woman burka boxing.

if you're asking for islamic view i think thats self explanatory

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

I doubt many people have a fetish over boxing... besides women's sports generally get fewer supporters/viewers in general. If the fetish aspect was an issue, I am sure women's sports would be huge, but instead they are generally unheard of.

Boxing is a tough sport, and very demanding - if you screw up, you get hit and maybe even hurt. People watch it due to the risk and the skill element - one punch and its over. Not only that, unlike many other sports, you can appreciate the skill when you see it. You do not need to be an expert to understand the risks or what is happening - when you see a good connect, you know.

Hajjar wrote:
sorry to the men on this forum, but a large majority of men love seeing women fight verbally, or even a cat fight maybe pulling hair. its a sexual fantasy for many, not just a laugh. So the prospect of female boxers many many men would love that, in fact i can just see those disgusting individuals salivating at the very thought of two women fighting in boxing shorts and vests. If a muslim woman fights it might bring in more men into the arenas than ever before, and even women, i mean who doesn't want to see a muslim woman burka boxing.

if you're asking for islamic view i think thats self explanatory

I know

men can be so gross

i can just see those disgusting individuals salivating at the very thought of two women fighting in boxing shorts and vests
LOL
tha made me laugh so much!
just the kinda thing Id come out with.....

Its great that they finally can compete in the Olympics! I do boxing and i love it and would be much more motivating to see people win medals in the Olympics!

naah, I don't think mindless violence should be rewarded with medals etc.

Just have fun kicking the crap out of someone, what more do you need?

I think alot of you have the wrong idea of boxing. Its not about kicking the crap out of each other or beating them senseless. And its especially not mindless violence!! ESPECIALLY at the Olympics.

Clearly you've never watched it.

Boxing like alot of other sports requires talent and skills. You'd be surprised the number of people who dont even know how to throw a punch let alone take one or dodge one. Yes, it has its dangers but so do alot of other sports.

HOWEVER with the rules and regs at the moment the fight would get stopped WELLLLLLL before either was seriously hurt.

And in the Olympics they were head gear too and their gloves are lot bigger. So the safetys there and every effort is made to keep the sport safe.

Back in BLACK

I agree with boxing Smile

as i am starting up thai- boxing myself Biggrin

"Love your haterz Smile Took the stairs, no escalators :)"

i thght the muslim stance on boxing was it's allowed on amateur level with right dress codes and audience. But professional level as far as i'm aware it's not permitted. So amir khan, muhammed ali may have done it does not mean it's correct for muslims to do. Then neither would it be correct for muslim women to do. I mean how would they retain their hijab and box, impossible.

This ambreen girl for example does she wear hijab when she boxes? if not why do they bother to mention her faith, it's a non faith issue.

if you're asking on a general level regardless of faith, then i would say yes why not if men can do it so should women. But religion or no religion i wouldn't want to perform such a sport in front of men, something creepy about men watching women fight.

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

Hajjar wrote:
something creepy about men watching women fight.

wise words +1
(just quoted that part to make it stand out but i would agree completely with everything you wrote!)

and boxing allows hitting in the face, which isnt allowed in ISlam. which makes boxing a sport that most muslim shouldnt take up.

Wrestling is fine, so's all type of martial arts (minus the bowing part)

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Hajjar wrote:
something creepy about men watching women fight.

Any type of fighting attracts a crowd, whether its humans fighting each other or animals.

Believe it or not some men enjoy seeing women fight, even getting hurt! (I'm not talking about myself here btw)

I don't like the idea of "men are evil and womens boxing is there only to tittilate these evil men".

Why would men need to watch you box? Smile

"Love your haterz Smile Took the stairs, no escalators :)"

I prefer womens wrestling, but I don't watch it, I find it too.......

Never have I dealt with anything more difficult than my own soul, which sometimes helps me and sometimes opposes me.
-Imam Al-Ghazali

Imaani wrote:
or just equality gone mad?

yep

Imaani wrote:
What are your thoughts on women's boxing? Is it right or wrong?

What about your views on the sport itself? Does it make a difference if it's women or men who are punching each others lights out in the ring?

Those of you who watch men's boxing, are you as enthusiastic about watching women fighting it out in the ring?

In 2012 women's boxing will be included in the Olympics. Is it about time, or just equality gone mad?

Someone who's hoping she's there fighting at the 2010 London Olympics is Ambreen Sadiq aged 15 - the first Muslim female boxer in the UK. She's not just got her opponent to worry about or the fact she's competing in a male dominated sport, but also religious restraints and cultural stigma.

Could she claim the huge support, from Muslims and non-Muslims alike, that Amir Khan did back in 2004 at the Athens Olympics, or are we just not ready yet? Will we ever be?

Ambreen: The Girl Boxer will be showing this Friday 22nd January on Channel 4 at 7:30pm.

Lol Muslim women boxing- are you kidding me? I don't agree with Amir Khan boxing or any Muslim alike in such a way for entertainment.It's wrong, morally , ethically and physically. So Muslim women now into boxing in front of men- ah lets just NOT go there!

Your own soul is nourished when you are kind; it is destroyed when you are cruel.

Hajjar wrote:

This ambreen girl for example does she wear hijab when she boxes? if not why do they bother to mention her faith, it's a non faith issue.

well
maybe she IS a Muslim
she might not wear a hijab
but
that desnt make her less of one
unless ur talking about modesty n boxing...

Hajjar wrote:

if you're asking on a general level regardless of faith, then i would say yes why not if men can do it so should women. But religion or no religion i wouldn't want to perform such a sport in front of men, something creepy about men watching women fight.

UGH
tell me about it

and they say that men are the rational sex...

There seems to be quite a number of females fetishising women boxing in this thread...

Here's a thought - maybe its just about the sport? the art of battering each other to a pulp.

"you're not all that" is a saying that comes to mind when so many girls seem to be "but look at all those pervy men who will watch women boxing".

You wrote:
There seems to be quite a number of females fetishising women boxing in this thread...

Here's a thought - maybe its just about the sport? the art of battering each other to a pulp.

"you're not all that" is a saying that comes to mind when so many girls seem to be "but look at all those pervy men who will watch women boxing".

well
thats cos we know what men can be like
u might say its just aout the spor

but come on

are u telling me guys watch women's volleyball (for example) for the 'sport'
I dont think so!

1R4M wrote:
You wrote:

well
thats cos we know what men can be like
u might say its just aout the spor

but come on

are u telling me guys watch women's volleyball (for example) for the 'sport'
I dont think so!

I didnt knw womens volleyball was an actual sport... thought it was nothing more than some guys wet dream lol

I can understand hw ppl might objct to muslim women boxing for the sake of modesty and the pervy men. I mean look at all those women tennis players who get gawked at. But at the end of the day a lot of women gawk at the men who play these sports too.

So should everyone stop playing sports?

I guess at some point people should just learn to grow up.

Letters_to_Cleo wrote:
So should everyone stop playing sports?

I already have.

honestly i would say its not right for both but it makes me feel stupid since i do boxing myself
although i do it for the excitement and thrill i think beating the lights out of someone for enjoyment doesnt sound right
woman should not be exactly the same as men, they should be treated eqal yes but should not do everything just because a man does (not being sexist) and men should not be involved in everything made for a woman lol (hard to explain without sounding wrong)
wouldnt the women be wearing shorts?....if so doesnt that mean showing parts of your body?
some men wouldnt like to feel as though a woman is more masculine than they are that could be the reason why they dont enjoy it...

The Wisest of Man Is Not The One Who Knows, But The One Who Seeks Knowledge In Order To Perform

if you can get me some chocolate that would be great.

thats so true Blum 3

The Wisest of Man Is Not The One Who Knows, But The One Who Seeks Knowledge In Order To Perform

You wrote:

thats so true lol

boxing in the first place is the wrong kind of sport coz you gotta hit the fACE and that's not allowed.

now how did this get divided into muslim women boxing. thats kind of a paradox..but anyway, lets carry on. so women beating the life out of each otherm professionally...okay..i cant caryy on.

but then doing it LIVE?! for all to watch?

i dont think there's any sports that any muslim women can do at competition level, with everyone watching.

@Iram, are you saying that being muslim and boxing. and being modest and boxing are two different things. there;s no problem with the first but there wil be with the second? hmm... im a bit skeptical. modest and muslim go hand in hand. imo and most muslims' opinion.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Pages