Surma has health benefits

Well, the article is about egyptian eye stuff, but I assume it is similar to/the same as surma:

Cleopatra's eye make-up 'had health benefits'

The heavy eye make-up favoured by ancient Egyptians such as Cleopatra may have had medical as well as aesthetic benefits, French research suggests.

The study, published in the journal Analytical Chemistry, suggests it helped to protect against eye disease.

The key appears to be lead salts contained in the make-up.

At very low levels, salts produce nitric oxide, which boosts the immune system to fight off bacteria which can cause eye infection.

Read more @

Tags: 

Hi, 

I am copying a QA from the other site. Hope it will enlighten you.

In a number of hadeeths it is narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used kohl and commanded others to do so. For example it is narrated in the Musannaf of Ibn Abi Shaybah, from the hadeeth of Anas, that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to apply kohl to his right eye three times, and to his left eye twice. This hadeeth was classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah no. 633. And it was proven in Sunan al-Nasaa’i (5113) and Sunan Abi Dawood (3837) and elsewhere, from the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The best of your kohl is ithmid (antimony), for it makes the vision clear and makes the hair  grow.” 

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Kohl protects the health of the eyes and gives strength and clarity of vision, and cleanses they eye of bad substances. In addition to that some types of kohl also serve as an adornment and if it is applied before going to bed this is even better. And ithmid is more efficacious than other types of kohl. 

For further reading, u may click on this site 

I  am a huge fan of surma I applied once my Muslim frnd gve me.i don't know wch surma powder is good ,I mean some people are those who r selling surma outside was full of chemicals,lead .I don't know wch surma to buy .you are telling Ithmid something abt Kohl pls suggest me original surma especially it promotes eyelash growth .pls suggest me an original surma without lead Nd other chemicals ,.And water u written abt Kohl was ammazing.Thank you.