Trident chewing gum - halal or haram???

My friend gave me a stick of trident chewing gum tropical twist flavour, it was very nice and I want to buy more but when looking on their website, I read that they 'use sugar alcohols with intense sweeteners'.

ALCOHOLS?! I mean I know from biology that glucose has -OH groups in right, and they are alcohol groups. But I mean, can we have this gum? What do you guys think?

Please let me know. Im tired of wrigleys, wanna try something new!

You should submit a question in writing to the scholars of Al Azhar.

God forbid you be left without as full choice of alternatives to Wrigley's.

how comes i've never heard of trident gum :?

extra, orbit?

"ßeast" wrote:
God forbid you be left without as full choice of alternatives to Wrigley's.
Funny :roll:

Noor, u aint heard of trident gum? Do u live in a cave? Lol. I bet u havent heard of the other trident either have u? The one that costs around £750 million or whatever it is. And that aint no gum!

The only "Trident" I have heard of is a nuclear weapons program by the MOD.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"You" wrote:
The only "Trident" I have heard of is a nuclear weapons program by the MOD.

That would be the 750 mill I was on about!

pretty cheap for a nuclear program then. What was all the fuss about?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"You" wrote:
pretty cheap for a nuclear program then. What was all the fuss about?

I thought it was around 750 mill, its actually more like 20 billion. The 750 was the initial phase, I looked it up. Cant remember if it was 2bn or 20 billion but still a lot of money.

Think of how much chewing gum u could buy with £20bn LOL Lol

with taxes and inflation not a lot Lol

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

Trident is made by Cadbury. They launched the brand a few months back and it immediately became a big hit - you're bound to have seen it even if you didn't notice it was anything different. The flavours are supposed to last longer so you can peel it off the pavement if you're hungry. The regular Trident contains bovine gelatin (ground up bits of cow), which means it is not halal. Trident [i]Soft[/i] doesn't contain bovine gelatin and the packet says it is suitable for vegetarians.

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

hello Frenchy! where have you been?

we all missed you friday photoathons

Don't just do something! Stand there.

And I've missed you. I'm around, just my schedule's pretty full. Hope you had a great Umrah.

Trident Splash also gontains bovine gelatin. (btw I just looked it up and discovered that all of Cadbury's spiel about intensive research into a brand with universal appeal and flavours designed to perfection was rubbish. It's been around in the States since the 60s and Cadbury-Schweppes has simply brought it to the UK.)

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

"Joie de Vivre" wrote:

Trident Splash also gontains bovine gelatin. (btw I just looked it up and discovered that all of Cadbury's spiel about intensive research into a brand with universal appeal and flavours designed to perfection was rubbish. It's been around in the States since the 60s and Cadbury-Schweppes has simply brought it to the UK.)

Thanks for the info, u kinda answered my question, but what about the ALCOHOL factor? Are sugar alcohols permissable for muslims? Im assuming they are but dont wanna take the risk.

you can have it because sugar alcohol is not alcohol.....

Joie de Vivre wrote:
...They launched the brand a few months back and it immediately became a big hit...

Sounds like marketing... two years on and I still haven't seen it around!

Mohammad ahmad khan wrote:
you can have it because sugar alcohol is not alcohol.....

Trident is a brand of sugarless chewing gum popular in the

Spot the magic word.

EDIT - on same page it also says:

Trident gum contains the , , which is known as a "tooth-friendly" sugar.

Having a look at the links, they are not "alcohol" alcohol, but just belong to the "alcohol group of chemicals" by nature of having an OH bond.

Fatwa: Allowed. Unless there is something else in there which is banned.

Mastication for the nation!

As if there isn't already enough xD

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

ok, got this today in peppermint flavour (could not find any wrigleys at all...) and in the ingredients it says "+ a wallop from a minty walrus, this stuff sounds bonkers but it makes great gum..."

Sounds like a weird ingredient to me...

sugar alcohols are halal i was just searching that up my self...
so are there any gums that are haraam??
plz reply

erm sugar alcohol is a sweetner so its halal i have it all the time dont worry and enjoy i once read the packet i was like oh my i didnt know it had alchohol in it but no its a sweetner

erm what about bovine gelitine :?:

depends on if the animal was slaughtered in a halaal manner or not. If not, it would not be halaal.

well if it were slaughted the non halal way then what??
so it could be haram. Sad

its a sweetener Smile

for bovine gelatine, yes.

Get the veggie society on the products case as they will push them to have a vegetarian alternative for bovine gelatine.

Trident Gum is haram, but not because of the sugar alcohol in it because sugar alcohol is just sugar and water, however it is still haram because it has geletain in it.

proof?

Last time I checked it didn't have that in there.

You wrote:
proof?

Last time I checked it didn't have that in there.

i think its the blue one has gelatine in it. im pretty sure one of them has. orange one hasn't though

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

oh well, easier to avoid them all.

hello in the oficcial site of trident in FAQ said that this gum is not for kosher. and kosher means jewish nutrition restrictions.in jewish rule the pork meat is not allowed, thus probably this gum is made of pork gellatin.

Pages