Sisters only swimming in Birmingham?

salaam,

bit of a random question but maybe someone knows - is there a sisters' only swimming facility anywhere in bham? I ask as my my mum and sister wants to go.

I know various leisure centres offer womens only swimming but the level of adhab (i.e. other women wearing swimsuits) is such that it makes it almost for muslim sisters to attend. So basically a place that caters for muslims.

Jz for any info if anyone has any.

wasalaam

No ideaa... ask at ur local swimming pool center if they have any women only sessions cz most do.

"*_Noor_*" wrote:
No ideaa... ask at ur local swimming pool center if they have any women only sessions cz most do.

A little bit of common sense (or if you'd read the message properly) would tell you that even womens only sessions are inappropriate as there are etiquettes to be observed even between the same sex which non-muslims do not adhere to.

lol, sorrry, :oops: didnt read it properlyy,

Umar bruv I am unaware of any such place in birmingham where shari'ah is adhered to whilst single sex swimming sessions are going on. I highly doubt such a venue exists.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

Assalamu Alaikum,

Over here i've heard of brothers hiring out the entire pool facility for a brothers only swimming session on a sunday. If there are enough sisters they could probably do the same in Brum?. Obviously make sure any cctv is being monitored by women aswell to be on the safe side, and female only staff on board.

Only prob with the female staff is apparently under the hanafi position non muslim women are to be treated like "strange men" so it's forbidden for muslim women to reveal their hair in front of them let alone their body unless there is some sort of dire need, like medical assistance? With this in mind even having a private swim session for muslim women would be out the question?

So sisters must learn to swim before they reach puberty or drown?...where's the solution for sisters living in the west, have the Ulema made any suggestions?

The same problems crop up with women only gyms.

i go swimming, its fun

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

Yashmaki has spoken the truth. Women should abide by the shari'ah.

On the same note - it is not permitted for men to expose between their navel and their knees even to other men. That area must necessarily be covered such that the shape, colour and warmth of the body is not felt. Hence men are not permitted to go swimming if other men are present who expose themselves.

Islam came for mens modesty as well as womens.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

All in one wet suits sort out the problem of not being uncovered in front of non Muslim women.

In Esporta Gym's women's only session every one gets their own private locker, shower and the camera's are turned off as well.

We have an Islamic Gym here in London which caters for Muslim Women...I'm not that clued up with what goes on in B'ham, however I've always thought that B'ham caters a lot more for the needs of the Muslim Community much more then any other city in the UK.

The wet suit may be thick enough to conceal the colour and warmth of the body but it does not cover the shape and is not valid covering in shari'ah. This applies to both men and women.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

soooo what you're saying is

if anyone shud go swimming they should go swimming alone and preferably with their clothes on... but the clothes have to be baggy enough to conceal the shape of the body.

Biggrin hahahahahhahahahahahahha

Back in BLACK

"Seraphim" wrote:
soooo what you're saying is

if anyone shud go swimming they should go swimming alone and preferably with their clothes on... but the clothes have to be baggy enough to conceal the shape of the body.

Biggrin hahahahahhahahahahahahha

yes it is amusing isnt it

knowing how to swim is a neccessity-we shud know how to look after ourselves

i feel sorry for those girls and boys who'll have to play the whole damsel in distress routine shud they ever be drowning

lol

im not gona lie..........i go swimming for fitness reasons only, plus i could never swim....now finally i can....and its good excercise and fun

yes its open, but nothing i can do...i dont own a swimming pool...and if you concentrate on ur swimming, you dont really notice much....and theres not that many people around anyway

been several times and seen nothing in a way which would mean i should stop goin

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

LilSis can I make a request?

For once just try to give an Islamic reason against what I said. Go on - have a go.

And as for ppl being so pure and holy that they dont see dodgy things at swimming pools - loooooooool. Typical response. You ones of pure hearts are soo noble - the shariah and its ahkaamaat dont apply to you paak saaf ones. its only for wahhabi deviants like me. :roll:

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

stop acting holier than thou. I find that attitude arrogant.

You have made your point. Others have made theirs. noone needs to agree.

If there is no agreement, just move on. No need to insult.

and lilsis, when drowning, its the panick, not the inability to swim which I would think is most dangerous.

Seraph also has a point. Wet clothes do no conceal the shape of the body no matter how baggy they are. On the other hand they could be dangerous, making on sink.

And wopuld the water itself not be awrah? Dunno really but its a valid question.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I've already admitted Im arrogant :roll: deal with it bruv.

No water is not sufficient covering :roll:

Hang about - no1 needs to agree? OK - but whenever I say anything its like wheres yr proof or whats your reasoning. Now I ask for other people to give their reasoning.

Im interested to know what logic or religious grounds people have for their opinions. Nowt wrong with that is there?

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"Med" wrote:
That is something you have to deal with, not me. Arrogance is a disease. If I had my memory, I am sure there is a hadith about it being more corrosive than something else or something...

Quote:
why not?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:
"Med" wrote:
That is something you have to deal with, not me. Arrogance is a disease. If I had my memory, I am sure there is a hadith about it being more corrosive than something else or something...

Quote:
why not?

By your logic - I've made my point and dont need to back it up with anything so lets move on.

And JazakALLAH for your advice about arrogance bruv. Smile dnt want to add lying to my list of sins by denying my arrogance.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

My logic was that if two people are opposed in an argument, after presenting their sides, its best to move on.

We are not on opposing sides of an argument. I am just asking a question or two. So your use of my logic is flawed. (really? :shock: )

Its a valid question. It may seem stupid , and below your level, but if it is not then using your definitions noone can ever swim in pulic unless wearing that high pressure diving gear. everything else either clings, or will cling when wet.

Lets not complicate everything.

Forget what I say - just tell us what Islaam says and that should be more than sufficient.

Tell us what Islaam says about men walking around exposing themselves in male- only gatherings and what it says about women exposing themselves in women only gatherings. No need to pay attention to anything I say - just give us Islams views.

even simple issues are complicated by ppl and for what? just to have a pop at som1? its so pathetic. ppl who dont knw the ruling on a simple and basic issue such as this use big words and think so highly of themselves - not deluding any1 save themselves.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

I am not talking about walking around.

I am talking about being covered in water. I am not questioning your position. Just asking what is the islamic position, and why? simple really.

Not everything is about you. Remember that.

"Med" wrote:

And as for ppl being so pure and holy that they dont see dodgy things at swimming pools - loooooooool. Typical response. You ones of pure hearts are soo noble - the shariah and its ahkaamaat dont apply to you paak saaf ones. its only for wahhabi deviants like me. :roll:

did i not say, i admit?

i was telling how i go swimming. did i say it was technically right or wrong?

do i think im perfect unlike sum?

did i say it was ok to do what i do?

do i think im a sinner yet still holier than every1?

get a life

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

ask an alim bruv - Im sure he'll give u an answer soothing to your query.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"Med" wrote:

I thought you were trying to play that role?

I haven't gone swimming in years, nor do I plan to, so its just a passing interest since the topic was started.

Just trying to analyse all the angles.

So, I will leave it. Now you should too, as you yourself do not seem to know the answer, and there is no need to continue in an argument of jahiliyah.

"Admin" wrote:
"Med" wrote:

I thought you were trying to play that role?

I haven't gone swimming in years, nor do I plan to, so its just a passing interest since the topic was started.

Just trying to analyse all the angles.

So, I will leave it. Now you should too, as you yourself do not seem to know the answer, and there is no need to continue in an argument of jahiliyah.

I havent ever claimed to be an alim and infact have quite regularly suggested people go to ulama for their queries.

And the issue is clear as crystal - it just seems some people cant see it and bring up silly questions.

your right abt one thing though - this is an argument of jahiliyyah.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

Have you brothers and sisters seen them islamic swim suits made in the middle east? It looks just like an outfit. long tunic top with trousers but it's made of some different sort of material, won't be so heavy when it hits the water. Sisters over here may get laughed at by non muslims if they wore it into the pool, but it provides more coverage than a full swim suit. comes with the headscard aswell neck is covered. Duno what material it's made of..must be some type of lycra.

So what's the verdict on gyms then? i need to go before Ramadan starts. Is it ok so long as i go to a women's only gym, and keep on my headscarf and some loose gym clothes; tracky bottoms and top with full arms?

Some ppl say we should exercise at home but realistically i doubt i'd use the equipment at home, i need a different environment too many distractions at home. More likely to make use of the gym specially if i get membership.

As long as you're covered it should be fine (I know why such rulings exist, eugh, i knw from experience *pukes*)

I think gyms are a total con, i go for a morning walk for 30-45 mins, since I came back from Pak I lost quite a bit of weight and since then I was able to maintain it and I have lost more due to these walks. It's nice and sunny and its great to be up in the morn!

"yashmaki" wrote:
Is it ok so long as i go to a women's only gym, and keep on my headscarf and some loose gym clothes; tracky bottoms and top with full arms?

loads of women i know go dressed to the gym like that

yeah walking is great i've always loved it. but sis i need to tone up ...you know why, so walking won't do the trick need something more vigorous. I don't think i'm up for running just yet, i have to start off with something gentle then up the pace, so i've been advised.

ps. what u know from experience Angel, do tell us in the sisters area Wink

"Admin" wrote:

and lilsis, when drowning, its the panick, not the inability to swim which I would think is most dangerous.

its BOTH

and obvioulsy one wud only panick if they knew that they couldnt swim

I found the following article on IslamOnLine.net regarding this issue:

"IslamonLine.net" wrote:
[b]
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.[/b]

Dear sister in Islam, first and foremost, we commend your interest in getting yourself well-acquainted with the teachings of Islam. May Allah keep us all firm in the straight Path, Ameen!

It’s the duty of the committed Muslim woman to set a good example in morality and good ethics for all people. Being a Muslim living in the West doesn’t make difference in this regard. So, it’s your duty to preserve your dignity and honor by compliance with the teachings of Islam.

Answering the question you posed, Sheikh Faisal Mawlawi, Deputy Chairman of the European Council for Fatwa and Research, states:

"Giving the fact that such swimming pool involves opposite sexes, and with the fact no one can conceive that there exists swimming suits for women that do not stick to their bodies when they get wet and cover all their bodies save the face and hands, then the original rule that women are not permitted to swim in public swimming pools is still in effect.

Muslim women in Western countries should demand separate swimming pools for women. They have succeeded in this in some German cities where separate swimming pools have been designed for women at specific times.

Therefore, in all Western countries, Muslim women should ask for this. If this demand was not achieved, a Muslim woman is not allowed to swim in public and mixed swimming pools."

Now, it becomes crystal clear that a Muslim woman isn’t allowed to swim in public and mixed swimming pools, while she can swim in a women-only swimming pool where men are not allowed.

Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and an Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, adds:

“So long as you’re swimming with women and wearing clothes that cover your `Awrah properly, you’re allowed to do so.

It goes without saying that Islam does not allow men and women swimming together, hence the issue of public swimming pool for both men and women is totally rejected in Islam."

[url=

However i do not know how accurate the above is nor which school of thought the owners of the website follow... as always you'll just have to make up you're own dam.n mind.

Back in BLACK

Pages