WHO ARE THE 'MUSLIM LEADERS'?

[b]WHO ARE THE MUSLIM LEADERS?[/b]

The prime minister is focusing on tackling an 'evil ideology'
UK Muslim leaders and politicians have met at Downing Street and agreed to tackle terrorism "head on", Prime Minister Tony Blair has said.

Salaam

We always hear this term, 'Muslim leaders'. Tony Blair and co today have had a meet with Muslim leaders? so who are they? who appoints someone as a Muslim leader? How do you become a Muslim leader? what are the conditions? Is thh MCB leaders of the Muslim community in the UK? Are the 4 Muslim MP's our leaders? Are our scholars and Imaams our leaders?
Why is there no clear Muslim leadership in the UK?

pls discuss...
wasalaam

These leaders who met Tony Blair today are Muslims who hold positions of power or influence in society.

Ofcourse these people were not chosen in any election in which only British Muslims voted. But these are people who have managed to carve out a public voice for themselves.

There are many of us who may not see them as 'leaders', but that is mainly because Muslims don't engage with them. These people have positions of power, we should make sure that they speak for us, rather than to us.

salaam

from the link littlesis posted:

[b]The leaders of Britain's Muslims [/b]

[b]MUSLIM COUNCIL OF BRITAIN [/b]
Who are they?

The UK's main umbrella organisation founded in 1997 with hundreds of affiliates, including mosques, Muslim schools and most Muslim groups

What do they stand for?

Moderate, mainstream. Its stated purpose is to "promote co-operation, consensus and unity". It is seen as the main "voice" of British Muslims

Leading light

Its secretary is Sir Iqbal Sacranie

Position on terrorism

It condemns all acts of terrorism but is being criticised for apparently failing to condemn those seeking to excuse suicide bombers in Israel

[b]COUNCIL OF IMAMS & MOSQUES [/b]

Who are they?

Trains imams and represents mosque leaders nationally

What do they stand for?

Influential training group for imams. It advised the Home Office to have stricter entry visas and introduce training for foreign imams

Leading light

Its chairman is Dr Zaki Badawi, an Egyptian-born scholar and principal of the Muslim College in London

Position on terrorism

Dr Badawi appeared with other faith leaders to condemn the London bombings. However, he was banned from entering the US on Thursday
[b]
MUSLIM ASSOCIATION OF BRITAIN [/b]

Who are they?

A new, younger, more radical group of Muslim activists

What do they stand for?

Involved in the Stop the War campaign, it has more left-wing political views. Its members are involved with George Galloway's Respect Party

Leading light

Dr Azzam Tamimi

Position on terrorism

Has been forthright in condemnation of London bombings but some spokesmen have made highly suspect remarks about suicide bombings

[b]ISLAMIC HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION [/b]
Who are they?

London-based civil rights group that says it seeks to win justice for oppressed Muslims

What do they stand for?

"Our inspiration derives from the Koranic injunctions that command believers to rise up in defence of the oppressed

Leading light

Its chairman is Massoud Shadjareh

Position on terrorism

The group "condemns in no uncertain terms the attacks perpetrated in London". Has since accused Blair of demonising Muslims

[b]MUSLIM PARLIAMENT [/b]

Who are they?

A forum founded after the Salman Rushdie affair that aims to campaign and lobby on issues of concern to the Muslim community

What do they stand for?

Its main campaigns are against "discriminatory" anti-terror laws, forced marriages and extremists

Leading light

Dr Ghayasuddin Siddique

Position on terrorism

The London attacks were "inhuman, mindless and unwarranted"

[b]ISLAMIC SOCIETY OF BRITAIN [/b]

Who are they?

Moderate non-campaigning "vehicle" for the promotion of Islam and Islamic values

What do they stand for?

"We believe that working for Islam is not just about campaigning for Muslim rights, but also about sharing Islam's view on God, life and society"

Leading light

President Dr Munir Ahmed

Position on terrorism

"The Islamic Society of Britain totally condemns the vicious and indiscriminate attacks"

[b]HIZB-UT-TAHRIR [/b]

Who are they?

International, secular political party open to all Muslims "regardless of whether they are Arab or non-Arab, white or coloured"

What do they stand for?

The creation of an Islamic state worldwide and the imposition of strict sharia law

Leading light

Spokesman Qasim Khawaja

Position on terrorism

The group "does not advocate or engage in violence". Nevertheless, it has been banned from campuses since 1995

[b]AL-MUHAJIROUN [/b]

Who are they?

Set up by the radical cleric Omar Bakri Mohammed after he split off from Hizb-ut-Tahrir in 1996

What do they stand for?

A militant, fringe group which advocates transforming the UK into an Islamic state and supports terrorist acts abroad

Leading light

Omar Bakri Mohammed

Position on terrorism

It welcomed the 9/11 attacks. It claimed to have recruited hundreds of British Muslims to fight in Afghanistan

[b]SO, WHO DO YOU THINK REPRESENTS YOU FROM THE ABOVE, IF ANY?[/b]

"irfan" wrote:
You missed out MPAC Rev'Ed.

he's using the link silly

MPAC werent in the list

but everyone shud feel free to add their own

I can confidently say that the Revival represents me

[b]MUSLIM PUBLIC AFFAIRS COMMITTEE UK (MPACUK)[/b]

Who are they?

Muslim lobby group

What do they stand for?

Aim to give British Muslims a voice and influence in the government and media

Leading light

Founder Asghar Bukhari

Position on terrorism

Condemn London attacks. Want Muslims to air their grievances through the democratic process

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"irfan" wrote:
You missed out MPAC Rev'Ed.

I can confidently say that the Revival represents me

salaam

really? so does that mean The Revival can be seen as LEADING organisation that represents the Muslim youth? Lol
well, we try but..i think we have a long way to go before we can really and truely represent anyone? ....soon inshallah.....well our logo is the VOICE OF THE MUSLIM YOUTH Biggrin

wasalaam

"TheRevivalEditor" wrote:
[
salaam

really? so does that mean The Revival can be seen as LEADING organisation that represents the Muslim youth? Lol

not yet

but with the right in-your face-HT type advertisng it can become a leading organisation

Salaam

An interesting article in The Times about Muslim leaders and organisations,,,,

London bombs
July 19, 2005

[b]
Missing Muslim group from No 10 is example of Blair's failure
Commentary by Ruth Gledhill, Religion Correspondent, for Times Online[/b]

If one of the aims of the Downing Street meeting was to address disenchantment among Britain’s Muslim youth, then Tony Blair needs to apply a little more of his own fabled skills of enchantment. Because his magic is not yet touching those he most badly needs to reach.

One of the country’s biggest Muslim organisations, Minhaj-ul-Quran (MQI), had been talking to Downing Street about the meeting for a week. Right up until the last minute, leaders of MQI were being tantalised with the possibility of an invitation. They were shocked and angry when that invitation failed to materialise.

MQI, which means "The Way of the Koran", has been active in Britain for about 12 years. It was founded by its Pakistan-based leader Shaykh Dr Muhammad Tahir-ul-Qadri 25 years ago. It now has branches in 80 countries, including the US and Canada.

Next week, Dr Tahir-ul-Qadri is visiting the UK, as he does every year, and addressing a youth camp of hundreds of British Muslims in Worcestershire. The organisation is expanding fast. It has 5,000 members, mostly young people, five Islamic centres and a thriving youth league. It runs youth training camps in this country. It is moderate, but not marginal.

Sir Ian Blair, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police visited the East London headquarters and addressed members during Friday prayers last week. It eschews extremism. In fact, MQI often helps young people who turn there in desperation after escaping indoctrination by the very extremists that the Government is going to have to deal with in some way if it is to counter effectively the terrorist threat.

Shahid Mursaleen, its media secretary, could not hide his disappointment when the invitation failed to materialise. "We were in touch with the organisers but at the last minute they did not invite us," he said.

"We were very disappointed because we represent the voice of over 5,000 people in the UK. I believe the true voice of Muslims in Britain was not represented at that meeting."

It was to MQI that Sir Ian Blair was speaking when he urged the Muslim community to end its "denial" about extremists in its midst and to engage actively in the fight against terrorism.

But the Government also needs to emerge from its own form of denial if it is to work out an effective strategy of engaging with extremists.

Engaging with the IRA was key to the Government’s success in bringing about our present uneasy end to that terrorist violence. Sticking to tried and trusted favourites from the Muslim establishment, while excluding young, expanding Muslim organisations, even where their only extreme reputation is for moderation, will not help combat the threat we all face.

For disaffected young men from ethnic minority backgrounds, a feeling of yet more exclusion will not do us any favours when it comes to their resisting the inclusive temptations of the radicals, and the opportunities offered by those extremists for terrorist revenge.

looks like them "talks" were with people that the Muslims dont even know/agree with

MQ werent there-that covers bare muslims

MPAC werent there-that covers many Muslims too

HT-lot werent there that cover many Muslims

it was a pointless talk then :roll:

Shahid Mursaleen, its media secretary, could not hide his disappointment when the invitation failed to materialise. "We were in touch with the organisers but at the last minute they did not invite us," he said.

"We were very disappointed because we represent the voice of over 5,000 people in the UK. I believe the true voice of Muslims in Britain was not represented at that meeting."

i agree...

Minhaj-Ul-Quran International should have definitely been part of it...did any of you hear the speech Sir Ian Blair gave at the MQI mosque? it was really good

salaam

In a way i think it was good that likes of Minhaj ul Quran and MPAC did not go to meet Blair & co. because now those 'Muslim leaders' are seen as puppets...as they just agreed to what Blair said. They had to pass and give their approval of the new laws to be introduced. So MQ and MPAC can be seen as independent and not pressured by the government, which means they can speak against the governmnert whilst the others now will hesitate to do so.

what do you think?

wasalaam

salaam

In a way i think it was good that likes of Minhaj ul Quran and MPAC did not go to meet Blair & co. because now those 'Muslim leaders' are seen as puppets...as they just agreed to what Blair said. They had to pass and give their approval of the new laws to be introduced. So MQ and MPAC can be seen as independent and not pressured by the government, which means they can speak against the governmnert whilst the others now will hesitate to do so.

what do you think?

wasalaam

yeh you'v got a good point...

do you think Shaykh-Ul-Islam Prof. Muhammad Tahir Ul Qadri will be interviewed or such? i think it'l be good if does happen..because Shaykh-Ul-Islam always knows what to say.

the muslim leaders aint puppets cos they all stressed thet Mr Blair needs to take a look at his foregin policy and see the link between the Iraq war and the bombings

btw what did all the leaders agree to? if is was keeping a closer eye of members of their community and grassing them if if need to-then I dont see anything wrong with that

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

btw what did all the leaders agree to? if is was keeping a closer eye of members of their community and grassing them if if need to-then I dont see anything wrong with that

Tony Blair told them to back the gov plans for new anti-terror laws and they probably nodded politely. But we'll probably see whether or not these leaders back the gov when the new laws are debated.

They agreed to set-up a 'task force' to 'tackle extremism head on'. (Whatever that means)

"irfan" wrote:

Tony Blair told them to back the gov plans for new anti-terror laws and they probably nodded politely. But we'll probably see whether or not these leaders back the gov when the new laws are debated.

in our community unfortunatly Imams have no repsect

I cant see anyone listening to them-

and I can't see them implementing anything either-Paki's esp are long like that

they say they'll do something but they dont

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"irfan" wrote:

in our community unfortunatly Imams have no repsect

I cant see anyone listening to them-

and I can't see them implementing anything either-Paki's esp are long like that

they say they'll do something but they dont

The fact that Muslim youth in this country are blowing themselves up should have sent shockwaves throughout the clergy and leasdership.

Even if 'Pakis' (Mirpuris) don't get off their backsides, other Muslims will. The Muslim 'leadership' in this country is disproportionately non-Mirpuri and they know they have to do something.

"irfan" wrote:
Even if 'Pakis' (Mirpuris) don't get off their backsides, other Muslims will. The Muslim 'leadership' in this country is disproportionately non-Mirpuri and they know they have to do something.

how does being 'Mirpuri' or 'non-Mirpuri' make a difference?

"muslim_kuri" wrote:
"irfan" wrote:

how does being 'Mirpuri' or 'non-Mirpuri' make a difference?

I think the description of Imams not being respected and not listened to, and people not implementing anything applies alot to many Mirpuris.

Non-Mirpuri Muslims are alot more politically and religio-politically active.

"irfan" wrote:
I think the description of Imams not being respected and not listened to, and people not implementing anything applies alot to many Mirpuris.

thats the funniest thing iv ever heard...

so if your Mirpuri then u aint politically active? and if your not Mirpuri then u are? lol get a grip

"muslim_kuri" wrote:
"irfan" wrote:

thats the funniest thing iv ever heard...

so if your Mirpuri then u aint politically active? and if your not Mirpuri then u are? lol get a grip

Er, no.

I said Mirpuris are alot less politically active than non-Mirpuris.

Mirpuris make up a bigger proportion of the Muslim poplulation in this country, but they make up a smaller proportion of the Muslim leadership in this country.

so your point is there should be more Mirpuris in leadership?

or that Mirpuris generally are not bothered with being politically active?

"muslim_kuri" wrote:
so your point is there should be more Mirpuris in leadership?

Maybe.

But any British Muslim leaders should familiarise themselves with Muslims from all ethnicities and represent their interests and concerns.

"muslim_kuri" wrote:

or that Mirpuris generally are not bothered with being politically active?

IMO they seem to be more concerened about politics back home than here.

Salaam

It is true that a huge bridge exists between our Muslim leaders and our youth.

They can’t relate to one another nor do they understand one another.

Therefore, targeting Muslim Leaders does not necessarily mean that the message will come across to our youth.

They both seem to be happier doing their own thing….

That “Talk” did not represent even a fraction of our Muslim community living in UK. Too many important influential Muslim individuals were left out.

Wasalaam

Salaams

The Muslim Association of Britain and the IHRC were absent from the Downing Street meeting on the 19th July, too.

Perhaps no suprise that the "stay indoors" IHRC were not invited, but MAB? The question is - did they want an invitation? They write for 'The Guardian', etc, but I gather they were key players in the anti-war protests...

Having said that, I am not that happy our so-called leaders met with Blair. After all, he's as much a terrorist as Osama Bin Liner.

Wasalaam

Yakoub

I love Allah!

As the Rev'Ed has said before maybe the fact that some were left out of the Downing Street talks isn't such a bad thing. Those left out can speak more independently and not be restricted to towing the gov line.

Salam Muslims
Peace Non-Muslims

What do you expect from a bunch of hand picked, un-elected, un-represented so called Muslim Leaders. The co-leader of state terrorism Tony Blair did not have this meeting to understand the Muslims concern but rather who needs to do what in executing his plans. This makes Sheikh Hamjah Yusuf, the former anti-American preacher, look better as he went to Bush to advise.

Any Muslim that studies ‘Al Wala wa al Barah’ will know that the enemies of Islam do not differentiate between a fasiq (sinful) Muslim or an upright Muslim. They will use Muslims to achieve their own interests whether it is fundamental Muslims (in their view) like Sheikh Omar Bakri Muhammad, half-moderate (in their view) Dr Azzam Tamimi or secular Muslims (in their view) like Sir (i.e British Colonial Pawn) Iqbal Sacrini (of Muslim Council of ‘Blair’)

I ask Allah to indeed help us, not to divide us further and not to be fooled and continually humiliated by the kuffar.

Salam Muslims
Peace Non-Muslims

salaam

so who do people on this forum see as their leaders? who do you think [b]does or should [/b]represent the Muslims of the UK? Which organisation? Which individual leader?
do we need leaders?

wasalaam

salaam
[b]MUSLIM COUNCIL OF BRITAIN [/b]
[b]COUNCIL OF IMAMS & MOSQUES [/b]
[b]MUSLIM ASSOCIATION OF BRITAIN [/b]
[b]ISLAMIC HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION [/b]
[b]MUSLIM PARLIAMENT [/b]
[b]ISLAMIC SOCIETY OF BRITAIN [/b]
[b]HIZB-UT-TAHRIR [/b]
[b]AL-MUHAJIROUN [/b]

top post editor bro.. i think it about time muslims start looking at the wider scenario, rather than having tunnel vision.

id add a few more muslim organisations to the list, such as the Tablighi's, YMO/IFE im sure there are many more.

myself, i cant say any of the above are representatives of the 'muslim voice' therefore i refuse to see them as the UK muslim leaders.. id like to have them all as the muslim voice, unfortunatly there aint clear communication between the groups, and I havent seen any clear attempt at bringing these groups together.

i believe we are living in an era where the importance of unity is becoming more important.. the responsibility lies on every sisngle one of us.

may Allah forgive us all.

[b][i]Round and round the Ka'bah,
Like a good Sahabah,
One step, Two step,
All the way to jannah[/i][/b]

salaam

so who do people on this forum see as their leaders? who do you think [b]does or should [/b]represent the Muslims of the UK? Which organisation? Which individual leader?
do we need leaders?

wasalaam

most people that i know here and in real life accept Dr Qadri as their leader

the rest members of groups such as HT or MPAC who dont really have a leader system

and many consider themselves as their own leader

Pages