Which order do you read the Quran

I have a new copy of the Quran, a new translation by M. A. S. Abdel Aleem, in the Oxford World Classics series.

I have also found a site that lays down the Chronological Order that the Surahs were revealed. Has it differs from the order Surahs are placed in the Quran. In order to gain a better understanding of the Quran woluld it be alright to use this order?

Would welcome any comments.

The order of revelation was based upon need.

First came the (later, shorter) chapters mostly on monotheism as Makkah at the time was dominated by polytheism.

Verses from Madinah were less related to monotheism and related to improving society.

Whichever order you choose, you will see the verses "talk" to you.

The traditional order of the compiled book is probably easier to read especially as you already believe in God.

The chapter that you will probably most want to read because you know something about it already is surah Maryam (Mary).

One thing you might notice is that the book does not focus on stories but their lessons - the Qur'an will refer to stories and events without actually being a history book, and then ask you to think.

As you read through things, please feel free if you want to make comments or even discuss them as you go along. It is always interesting to read another's view.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

As you read through things, please feel free if you want to make comments or even discuss them as you go along. It is always interesting to read another's view.

Thanks for your comments, i might take you up on your offer to make my thoughts known as i read through. 

the first the thing get a good translation not a modernist fake one

if you want proper translation then get abdullah yusuf ali translation of quran not these modernist muslims who have no knowledge of islam 

and if you want explanation of quran go and read tafsir ibn kathir or tafsir ibn abbas 

you not you but the orher, is not a scholar infact his knowledge of islam is not even base don quran something you will realize after reading the quran infact after finishing the quran your understanding of the core islam will be better then his 

same goes with me im not a scholar so read the explanation of quran from tafsir ibn abbas or tafsir ibn kathir

Only use translations by Pickthall, or Yusuf Ali.
Read from first to last. Whole thing.

Thanks to all for your comments.

I have now down-loaded a copy of the Quran from Gutenberg which is a translation by

Abdullah Yusuf Ali; Marmaduke Pickthall; and Mohammad Habib Shakir on a line by line version comparing all three translations side by side.

I shall probably read my first book first and then compare that with my Gutenberg version.

Thanks again to all for your comments

As i see it wrote:
Thanks to all for your comments.

I have now down-loaded a copy of the Quran from Gutenberg which is a translation by

Abdullah Yusuf Ali; Marmaduke Pickthall; and Mohammad Habib Shakir on a line by line version comparing all three translations side by side.

I shall probably read my first book first and then compare that with my Gutenberg version.

Thanks again to all for your comments

weldone 

Topic locked